Travel insurance is a must to reimburse you for unexpected events that occur when you’re away from home.

Particularly if you’re travelling overseas, insurance is as important as your passport, because holidays don’t always go to plan.

But you also need to know that your policy doesn’t cover everything. Travel insurance can’t cover you for all eventualities that may occur on your trip.

The product disclosure statement will outline what’s excluded from your policy coverage and that will differ between insurers.

Let your JMD Ross account manager know exactly why and where you’re travelling and what you plan to do on your trip to ensure they can provide a policy that will give you the best possible protection.

Some common exclusions are:

  • Incidents in which alcohol consumption is a contributing factor. Some policies are narrow and won’t cover any losses or expenses directly or indirectly caused by the effects of alcohol. Others are broader, for example stipulating they won’t pay claims if you have a blood alcohol content of 0.19% or more when an incident or accident occurs.
  • Report thefts and other losses to police within 24 hours if you intend to claim and get written proof for your insurer. If you leave your belongings unattended, your claim could be denied. If you can’t have an eye on your belongings for any reason, ensure they’re safely locked away. While police may be unable to recover your belongings, a police report will assist in the claims process.
  • Dangerous, high-risk recreational sports. Most basic recreational activities are covered by insurers but advises that winter sports are generally an optional extra. Quad biking, heliskiing, polo and high-altitude trekking are often excluded.
  • Riding motorbikes, mopeds and scooters. If you’re not licensed to drive a specific vehicle in Australia, it’s unlikely your travel insurance will cover you if you’re injured or cause damage riding one overseas, even if it is legal for you to do so in the country to which you’ve travelled. Always wear a helmet and abide by the travel destination’s traffic rules. The rules apply to passengers, too – ensure the driver is licensed.
  • Undisclosed pre-existing medical conditions can void any claim relating to that condition. Most policies won’t cover you if you travel against medical advice or to seek medical treatment.
  • Most airlines allow pregnant women to fly domestically until about 36 weeks, but the cut-off date for travel insurance is generally earlier, often about 24 weeks.
  • If you need to extend your travel, ensure you notify your insurance professionals. Cover is for a specific time period and, if you exceed that time, you won’t be covered, unless the need for an extension is related to a claimable event occurring.

Please contact JMD Ross for a travel policy that suits your specific requirements or for any risk management and insurance advice.


Disclaimer: Applicable to Australian residents only. The information on this site is for general information purposes only and does not take into account your particular needs and objectives. For appropriate advice you should contact our office to determine which products and services are most appropriate for your needs. As the website does not include full details of any products referred to, you should read the respective policy wording that can be made available on request. We will not be liable to any individual or organisation for any damages whatsoever arising out of the use of the site.

© JMD Ross 2023 | ABN 59 001 706 289 | AFS Licence No 238356